Step 1: Check Eligibility Requirements
Please be sure you meet the eligibility requirements and income limits below.
- Qualify as a family
- Meet citizenship/eligible immigrant criteria
- Provide documentation of Social Security numbers
- Must sign consent authorization documents.
- Meet the Johnson City Housing Authority screening criteria
- Have an income within the income limits (see table below)
FY 2021 Income Limits Summary
Johnson City, TN MSA, Median income $63,900
|2021 Income Limits||1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person||7 Person||8 Person|
|Very Low (50%) Income Limits ($)||21,150||24,150||27,150||30,150||32,600||35,000||37,400||39,800|
|Extremely Low Income Limits ($)*||12,880||17,420||21,960||26,500||31,040||35,000*||37,400*||39,800*|
|Low (80%) Income Limits ($)||33,800||38,600||43,450||48,250||52,150||56,000||59,850||63,700|
* The FY 2014 Consolidated Appropriations Act changed the definition of extremely low-income to be the greater of 30/50ths (60 percent) of the Section 8 very low-income limit or the poverty guideline as established by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), provided that this amount is not greater than the Section 8 50% very low-income limit. Consequently, the extremely low income limits may equal the very low (50%) income limits.
Income Limit areas are based on FY 2021 Fair Market Rent (FMR) areas. For information on FMRs, please see our associated FY 2021 Fair Market Rent documentation system. Fair Market Rent documentation system.
Step 2: Download Public Housing Application
To get your name on our public housing waiting list, please download and print the application using the link below. Hard copy applications are available at 901 Pardee Street, Administration Offices.
Step 3: Submit Application
Submit application in person at 901 Pardee St., Johnson City, TN. Applications accepted Tues-Thurs from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Please call 423-232-4784 or TDD/TTY 1-800-545-1833 Ext 762 with any questions.
Step 4: Additional Documents
The following will also be needed to complete your application.
- Proof of identity for all adults in the family
- Social Security Cards for all family members
- Birth Certificates for all family members
- Income statements with account numbers, names and addresses
- Contact information for current and previous landlords
- Medical expense report for elderly or disabled family members
- Proof of marital status